Argonne’s officially supported method of using Multifactor Authentication with Office 365 is Phone, SMS, and Microsoft Authenticator. Instructions can be found here.
If you wish to use a different authenticator method such as Google Authenticator or another Time-based One Time Password (TOTP) manager, here’s how you need to proceed.
- Visit https://aka.ms/mfasetup and login.
- Choose Authenticator, then specify you wish to use a different authenticator app.
- Follow your authenticator app’s instructions for adding a new account. When you get to the point where you can scan or enter a code, click “Next” on the Microsoft site.
- If your app will scan the code, do so. If it will not, you can click “Can’t scan image” and get a code you can type in. Google Authenticator, 1Password, LastPass Authenticator, Authy, and most TOTP apps will scan the code.
- After it’s set up, click next on the Microsoft site. Enter the code that shows up in your app into the box.
- Your app is now a valid authenticator.